Parents and Community Members;
I want to give you an update on what we know as of today on COVID-19.
First, we want to let you know that the District is continuing to work closely with the Health Department and to follow their guidelines on COVID-19, as mentioned in last week's letter to you and the community. We are told the absolute best line of defense is keeping surfaces clean, washing hands, not touching your face, stay home when you are sick (very important), etc. I also want to say how impressed I have been with the Vermont Department of Health and the AOE for assisting us and keeping us informed through their website which is updated daily.
In this rapidly developing situation, there are some updates. As you will see, most have to do with ensuring we avoid large groups of people who are coming from different areas of the country or the state:
- As you probably know, we now have 2 known cases of the virus in the state - one in southern Vermont and one in Chittenden County. At this time, there are no other known cases.
- Until further notice, all trips outside the country have been cancelled or postponed. You should speak with your principal if you have questions on a trip.
- The All-New England Music Festival has been cancelled.
- The division 1 and 3 Semifinal Girls' Basketball Games that were scheduled for March 12th will be postponed until further notice.
- The March 17th SCRIPPS Spelling Bee event has been postponed until further notice.
- Spring sports and all other related VPA events and meetings, as of today, are currently scheduled without disruption.
This list is not exhaustive - only what I know at this time.
We have been advised that all school events which are taking place within our community can take place - concerts, assemblies, meetings, etc. In addition, schools will remain open at this time.
Our Safety Team has scheduled a meeting for tomorrow morning which will include our local representative from the Vermont Dept. of Health. At that time, he will update us and answer questions for us. After that meeting we will send out any additional information we have.
From the Superintendent of Schools, Kevin Dirth